Daily Independent Sunday Morning,
The City of Bellefonte was born on July 3rd, 1951 destined not to become a bustling busy metropolis of towering steel and concrete with wide traffic-choked thoroughfares, but a quiet residential community nestled in the shade of giant oaks that once sheltered the log cabin homes of its earliest inhabitants who toiled at the nearby Bellefonte charcoal furnace years before Ashland, its thriving industrial neighbor city, was laid out into town lots and incorporated.
order of the Greenup Circuit Court entered on
Residents of the Bellefonte area requested incorporation as a city with several purposes in mind, perhaps the main one of which was the preservation of the rural beauty of the community. They were also moved by the desire to join forces in an effort to find the very best solution to the growing community of fire and police protection and adequate water supply, sewage disposal, etc.
In attaining their first objective—the preservation of the rustic atmosphere of the subdivision—the people of Bellefonte had the valuable assistance of the founders of the and officials of the Means and Russell Iron company who originally developed the area as a fine residential back in the early 1920’s and in all deeds restricted the land to residential use only.
Church Being Built
A Presbyterian Church, the first of any denomination to be built in Bellefonte, is nearing completion a short distance from the school and within sight of the ruins of old Bellefonte Furnace.
Although no contract with the Ashland Fire Department has ever been arranged, an agreement with the Westwood department on a volunteer basis is now in effect.
Building and zoning ordinances have been adopted to preserve the city’s sylvan air as well as to provide eventually for better fire and health protection. There is some talk of enlarging the city limits but it is being temporarily held up by the question of taxes. This seems though, a very minor problem as the taxes for all of the citizenry of Bellefonte amount to only $2,000 a year.
In the order incorporating Bellefonte as a sixth class city, the Greenup court named five city trustees who act in the capacity of a town council. They were Davis E. Geiger, Fred M. Gross, George H. Todd, Mrs. George H. Beddoe and John C. Vigor.
Town Officials Named
At their initial meeting held in October of 1951 in the home of the late LeWright Browning, Bellefonte’s Board of Trustees organized and immediately launched efforts on a program of community improvement.
John Vigor was elect as chairman of the Board of Trustees or “mayor,” and John Layne was elected as city clerk. The home of George H. (Bro) Todd was designated as the board’s official meeting place for regular meetings to be held on the second Monday of each month.
Board of Trustees gave a great deal of thought to the protection of property
from theft, vandalism and fire.
They arranged for the appointment of one of their residents, Fred M. Gross, as a
deputy sheriff on the staff of the
Bellefonte obtains its water supply third-handed.
Pumped form the Ohio River by the City of
and more families moved to Bellefonte the enrollment at the
were among the major problems to be worked out by Bellefonte’s
planning community improvements, the Board of Trustees seeks the opinions and
desires of all the residents of the
Town meetings held in August of 1952 and March of 1953 attracted attendance of around seventy, a high percentage of Bellefonte’s adult population. More recent meetings have drawn almost a hundred attendants, and increase in line with the city’s growing population.
The Bellefonte of today is not a great deal different on the outside from the Bellefonte of 1951, but many inner changes have taken place. The chairmanship of the town council has passed from Mr. Vigor to Mr. Todd. The council however remains unchanged except for replacement of Mrs. Beddoe by John Gavigan.
The terms of the present councilmen will expire in November but as yet neither the mayor or any Bellefonte citizens have filed for election. Deputy Sheriff Gross has been replaced by Constable W.M. Bush of Flatwoods who makes his rounds from three to four times nightly. The clerk and treasurer now are Mrs. William Hull and Homer Steele.
And the city even has a police judge, H. William Steele. Although he has no court as such, it has made no difference to date as he has never been called upon to try a case.
request of the residents, the Means and Russell Iron Company installed 1,100
feet of laterals to receive sewage systems fro a number of new homes.
There has been a great deal of building in recent years which made this
was begun on the